From Michael Brady

Alex Douglas
Wednesday 12 May 2021

I met Katherine soon after I moved to Scotland in the late 1990s, and got to know her and Jon very well in the years that followed. Katherine struck me from the very first as someone with a rare combination of virtues. She was kind, funny, smart, humane, and down-to-earth. She was fascinating, and fascinated by many things, a brilliant philosopher, and immensely considerate. She had taste and style and wit. Perhaps my fondest memory of Katherine was when we were sitting in a pub in St. Andrews, the day after her wedding, quietly having a couple of pints before heading off to the Himalayas for a round of putting. She was relieved and relaxed that all had gone so well on the day. She was so very, very happy.

Two final things. Every time I would see her academically – at a conference, workshop, talk – my first thought was ‘Great, Katherine’s here’. There was a sense of quiet joy seeing her, knowing that there would be at least one person there I would be happy spending all of my time with. And every time I left her presence, I’d promise myself to try to be more like her. She was a good friend, and I will miss her very much.